Sunday, November 25, 2007

Midas

Hi, I am Midas. I am the king of pessinus, a region near Turkey. My parents are Gordias and Cybele. People knows me because of my love for the pleasures of life.
I will tell you one of the most important stories of my life. One day, Dionysus , the god of the life force, gave me the Golden Touch. Dionysus was followed by a group of Satyrs. The satyrs were half human, half goat individuals with a lust for wine and sexual pleasures. The leader of the satyrs was Silenus. One day, Silenus became intoxicated and pass through my rose garden. The pleasants found Silenus and they brought him before their king. They were very lucky and I recognized Silenus and I treated him very good during 5 days and 4 nights. During this days, Silenus entertain me with all his tales.
When Dyonisus came back to me, he was pretty glad to be with Silenus, his father. When Dyonisus saw Silenus, he decided to reward me for the hospitality with Silenus and he granted me one wish.
My dream, was that everything that I touch became gold. When I said him, he said me that it could be very dangerous, but I was very interested of being surronded by gold so I didnt listen to Dyonisus comments. Dyonisus game me the gift. I was very exited and I turn all I can into gold. My attitude also changes, and more when I cant eat because also my wine and my food was turn into gold when I touch them.
One day, I practicaly killed my daughter when I touch she. She becames gold. When I had this incident I recognized the depth of my mistake. I get very desperate and I decide to call Dyonisus and ask him for help. He said me that he will only wash my wish if I bathe in the headwaters of the Poctolus river. Inmediately, I went to the river and as soon as I touch the water, the river carried away the golden touch. This gold was carried downstream to Lydia. Lydia was one of the richest kingdom in the ancient World.
Alter the death of my daughter I hated wealth and splendor and I became a wordshiper of Pan, the god of Woodlands.

This myth explains why the Poctolus River is rich with gold and why Lydia cames to be one the richest kingdoms.

By: Daniela Montes